Tuesday, March 20, 2007

To plug or not to plug



I had to throw this picture in. Yes, this is a picture of Shane's truck plugged in. And, no, it is not electric. Up here in Alaska, it gets so cold that it isn't good for the vehicles engine. So, most people up here, have engine block heaters. Its purpose is to keep the engine warm so that it last longer, and to keep emissions lower because being plugged in, causes the engine not to have to work so hard to get warm. Now that we have had our mechanics lesson for today, they say that you should always plug in at 20 degrees and colder. Most of the winter, it stays plugged in. My purpose for plugging it in, is that it takes less time to warm the inside. The thing is, you always have to remember to UNPLUG it. I forget most times. I swear, my whole wall is going to come down one day. I have lost so many extension cords because I just drive away with them hanging. (This is an instant give away that I am not from here!!):) However, I am getting better.

5 comments:

Shelia said...

LOL OK Jamie, that was funny! I'm certain I'm going to smacked for this sooner or later, and I'm prepared..so here goes. Wasn't it your cousin that drove off in the fire truck pulling an entire washing machine with him?! LOL So see, extension cords aren't so bad!

Judy said...

What a great look into how cold it really is in Alaska. Most of us here in the sunny south have no clue. That's one thing Ms. Eloise asked "is it bitter cold for her". I told her it was but, you have a heated garage and a remote start on your car which helps. She felt a little better...I'm sure you are not the only one who has forgotten to unplug..How about Shane?

Lo216 said...

you never miss a day, do you?

oldav8r said...

Hey Jamie, have your tires frozen square yet. My uncle was stationed in Fairbanks and he said the same thing about engines freezing up, only that was back in the 40's so the cars didn't have as much in insulation and performance parts. Girl I feel sorry for you, being a southern girl. You are really a misplaced Rebel!

AmyWhit said...

Okay, that's just entirely too cold! I am positive I would forget to unplug too. However, I have had experience with plugging in Riley's 12 volt tractor. LOL.