Saturday, March 10, 2007

Alaskan wildlife









We were out and about again today. We went over to Elmendorf Air Force Base. There, they have eagles that are kept in a cage because they are hurt. They find eagles and they nurse them back to health. The good thing is, is that we can go and see them any time we want to. It's pretty cool. There are always raw pieces of meat in their cage that they eat. These two eagles that I took pictures of, didn't mind posing for the camera.
We, also, went out to Otter Lake to see if anyone was ice fishing. On the way to the lake, we went over a creek. Low and behold, there was this duck. He was swimming in this creek, then would disappear. He would go under the freezing water and then about 5 seconds later, he would pop up. It is amazing that he didn't freeze to death. Look at the ice all around him. I guess all of his feathers keeps him warm. I don't know what kind of duck he is, do you guys?? I, also, like the sunset in the water.
The last picture is of some monkeys we came across. They were pretty cute and didn't mind posing for the camera either. I am still trying to find a porcupine. Maybe I will see one of those when the snow breaks.


4 comments:

AmyWhit said...

Great photos, Jamie! Weird that you went to take photos of eagles and one just happens to light in a tree in our yard. Adam insisted that I try go get a photo. Everyone else stayed at our house and I trekked across Adam's yard in search of the photo. What I learned when I got back to the house was that they were all having a laugh at my expense. They had said that they should get THEIR camera and take a picture of the (abnormally large) duck walking across the yard. The duck was ME! I was wearing my orange crocs and a yellow shirt. LOL. Okay, that is ONE picture that would NOT make it to the blog!

Love the one of the monkeys. I've always been particularly fond of monkeys, and these are especially cute!

Shelia said...

Love the last wildlife pic! Unusually cute monkeys there! ~big smile~

Sister & Girls said...

You're becoming a pro!! Love those monkeys! Why don't they have coats on?? You're in Alaska for heaven sakes!
Oh I will put the bug on or I'll send it to ya!

Heather said...

So much wildlife in AK! Eagles, ducks, AND monkeys. I saw the first picture when your blog popped up and my immediate thought was "oh, she has posted the most beautiful post card!"

GREAT pictures! Luke and I went down to the beach to take some pics yesterday and he was not amused. He kept asking when we could go to home. I'm liking this picture taking thing, so he may have to endure some more trips...