Monday, March 19, 2007

Popsicles





These are what my kiddos call popsicles. It is so funny because Emily comes up with all these words, and I have to figure out what she is talking about. This one was relatively easy. Popsicles are icicles. These icicles amaze me. I love to see them. The first picture is on the shoppette (gas station). There is a drip of water that comes out of the tube and I guess over the course of the winter it has formed this ice sculpture. It looks like someone turned on the faucet and left it on and it just froze solid, kinda like a cartoon. The second picture is on the same building, but, I guess this has several drips coming off of the roof. These icicles go from the roof to the ground. The last picture is of icicles hanging off of a snow bank. You can see these all over town. What happens is the truck plows and leaves a bank. Then, the sun comes out and even though the temperature is still cold, the sun beating down on it all day, melts the snow slowly, leaving popsicles. I think these are sooooo cool.





5 comments:

Shelia said...

Wow! I was thinking the same thing about the first pic. It looks like something out of an old "Tom & Jerry" cartoon. Those are amazing pics Jamie! Thanks! My kids have never seen anything like that!

Judy said...

Great shots, I love the little bit of very bright blue over the shopette, nothning is bluer than those Alaskan skies. Very Nice work..Hope the popsicles are gone by the time I get there.

AmyWhit said...

The second one is amazing to me. They're huge!

oldav8r said...

The popsicles are great pics, just don't stand under one of those things---they are so very dangerous. I'm surprised the owner doesn't try to get rid of them, as they melt and fall,they can pull a roof off a building!

Ma. Luisa said...

Beautiful pics!