Sunday, July 22, 2007

The salmon are running

We went to see the salmon running today!! It was actually pretty cool. These are Chinook salmons. They go up this stream.....there were alot of them.. Around here these salmons are just called 'reds'. The other ones are called silvers, and kings.

When they get to a waterfall, they attempt to jump up them... They go up pretty high. This waterfall is really high, so they couldn't make it up it. But, this is also where the hatchery is so I think that they just made this a natural habitat for them.

But, when I have a bad day, I remember what these poor salmons have to go through, swimming up stream their whole life, then they spawn and then, they die......so my life is pretty good......

6 comments:

Judy said...

Pretty awesome. I love the bright red color. Is this hatchery on Post?

You never took me to see them! LOL

Hey y'all have a good day..I'll say a prayer for Jo Jo and the girls as they fly home tonight.

Flip tour Bed & Breakfast me and dad will be there soon!

Queen of Foo Foo said...

WOW that is very cool! I would like to see it in person. Yeah I guess we should remember when we think we have bad times,remember the poor salmon.

Queen of Foo Foo said...

Jamie I just found out from Miles that they are using salmon from the Copper River in Alaska.

Anonymous said...

In Michigan when the Salmon are running the only ones who can fish for them are native Americans. They spread nets across and the fish literally jump in. It is a big deal for pre-spawn fishing. I have caught a Coho Salmon but could not land it. Salmon fishing is big in MI. They come all through the lake system to the western Lake Michigan. Quite a run for the salmon!

Shelia said...

Jamie these are some of the most beautiful pics you'be posted yet! Great job!

AmyWhit said...

neat! I like the first photo a lot, but it's pretty impressive that you caught that one fish in the air in the second photo!