Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A Tribute


The post tonight is a tribute to a fallen comrade. This Santa looking fella is Lt. Colby Umbrell. He was Shane's platoon leader that was killed in Iraq May 3, 2007 by an IED. He was an AVID Philadelphia Eagles fan. He was known to wear his 1940's leather football helmet at briefings coming in to address the guys singing the eagles fight song thinking he was Jack Bauer (off of the show 24.) He went from playing football every day of his life weighing in at 240, to running marathons weighing in at 210. He loved his job, believed in the true cause of helping the Iraqi people attain the freedoms that we enjoy. Most of all, he was one of the biggest practical jokers that I have known. This picture was taken in December 2005. He was Charlie company's newest Lieutenant and he got suckered into being Santa for the Christmas party. I was called to the back where he was standing in this room. There he was all nervous. Is my beard alright? Is my belly ok? What do I say to the kids?? I said all you have to do is say HO HO HO!!! and talk to them. Here is this big tough army guy nervous about being Santa, with his palms sweating!! It was so funny!! He got out there though and did a wonderful job!!
LT COLBY UMBRELL, YOU WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

Okay this made me cry! Don't you just love when grown men hit that soft spot in you to let you know that they have emotion's also! My thoughts and prayers are with his family!

Nancy S. said...

Jamie its good to see you are still around. I am so sorry about Shane's Platoon leader (friend).He sounds like such a jolly person. I bet he was a great Santa. I love the pic.

God Bless his family and friends.

Judy said...

OH, baby how very sweet and compassionate of y'all to remember Colby this way...I know it has taken ya'll a while to get to this point.Maybe talking to his parents the other day helped not only them.? I am very proud of you and Shane, stepping up and feeling the pain of you friend's family enough to actually do something about it. I know they will cherish all the pics you sent to them and the wonderful stories of his life.. I think it was Abraham Lincoln who said at Gettysberg "all give some and some gave all" Colby was one who gave all, and we will not forget! One day you can tell McKinley about the Hero who was holding her!

Shelia said...

A beautiful memorial Jamie. I'm proud of you guys. Words seem so empty don't they? But I mean every one of them. You and Shane are making God smile.

Queen of Foo Foo said...

Jamie that is a wonderful story. It brings tears to my eyes. We don't realize what these brave men & women are doing for us everyday.
He sounds like he was a true giver.
Only God can give confort in times like these.

Anonymous said...

When I first saw the pic, I laughed. What a great Santa pic. Then I read the text, I am so very sorry any of these brave young men have to die. My prayers go out for his family and to those who shared their life with him. What a beautiful memory.

AmyWhit said...

A wonderful tribute, Jamie. It sounds like he was a wonderful guy. Prayers going up for his friends and family tonight.